In the United States, 1 in 8 people struggle with hunger, and each September, Feeding America recognizes this month as Hunger Action Month to raise awareness of the effects of hunger. Throughout the year, the community-based organization focuses on providing meals to people in need through a network of food banks, while addressing four main areas: food rescue, foods that nourish, food safety and food security.
While the nationwide organization works with manufacturers, distributors, retailers and other companies around the country to help address the root of hunger, its mission is to provide local resources to its communities. To help support this cause, the DFA Cares Foundation continues to partner with Feeding America to help provide resources and dairy products to local food banks.
The DFA Cares Foundation was established in 2005 to help farmer-members and employees contribute to one of DFA’s core values – community. Through DFA Cares, our Cooperative is able to help provide disaster relief, invest in students pursuing degrees in the dairy industry and donate nutritious dairy and food products to those in need.
In honor of Hunger Action Month, DFA is donating all contributions made to the DFA Cares Foundation to Feeding America and its continued efforts to aid those affected by Hurricanes Irma and Harvey. In addition, DFA will match every dollar donated, up to $5,000.
Other ways to participate in Hunger Action Month include:
- Visit Feeding America’s Great American Milk Drive virtual donation to help provide milk to local food banks.
- Advocate to end hunger. Let Congress know you support programs and policies that help end hunger.
- Volunteer your time at a local food bank.
- Wear orange, the official color of Hunger Awareness. Orange is the official color of hunger relief and is indicative of the Feeding America’s mission. Click here to learn more.
- Join the conversation! Share with us how you’re supporting the cause by using #HungerActionMonth and tag @dfamilk and @feedingamerica to be featured on our social media pages.